Monday, January 15, 2007

12th - 13th January 2007

Friday 12th January

I thought I’d struggle to do anything productive after all the traveling yesterday, but I’ve already been teaching at two schools. This morning at Ranapanediniya School I took a class of 14 children which quietly doubled before I finished a couple of hours later. I did an “I went shopping and I bought…” exercise using some flash cards I made in Bradford (thanks for the idea Heather!). I then extended this notion into the future tense, so it became “tomorrow, I will go shopping and I will buy…”

The age of that first class was, I think between about 8 and 12 and I seemed to have picked an exercise just right for their level of English. I have to admit that this afternoon I didn’t find things as easy going. I had 4 younger children, at Nirasha School. I really found it difficult to make myself understood when trying to help them with an exercise in a book they had been working on. This may partly be due to them being a little distracted by the use of a cane at the other side of the room. This was taking place behind my back, but from what I could gather, there was an upset child, that was deemed in need of some disciplining. I didn’t turn round, but tried to keep the attention of the kids I was working with. I eventually won my four over by changing tack for a sing-song of “Heads, Shoulders, Knees and Toes.” This they clearly enjoyed, so I think this might be the way forward next time I have this class.

Saturday 13th January

I went to Galle today with Nalinda and Manju. I bought a big Sri Lankan drum a few odds and ends I’ll need for teaching, such as blank paper. I decided against getting a guitar. For the teaching of nursery rhymes it is not necessary. And Nalinda thinks it will not get used in the schools after I have left.

I have been feeling a bit daunted today by all that I have to do, but Sam has reassured me that I’m not expected to work every hour under the sun, and my “This is Rathgama” project can be continued by the next volunteer if I don’t finish it.

3 Comments:

At 8:41 am, Blogger Peter said...

Just found this Alb, excellent. Songs is the way forward all right

 
At 9:09 am, Blogger Carole said...

Great to hear how you're getting on & looking forward to next installment. Watch out for those falling frogs.

 
At 7:03 am, Blogger fran said...

Hi albert good luck with the blog - what is the mapping project about? Are you drinking lots of lovely real leaf tea and not nasty tea bags??? Is it very sunny - here it is grey and freezing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home