Monday, February 12, 2007

6th - 9th February 2007

Tuesday 6th February

Today was my last day teaching at both Siri Sumana and Baranasooriya Boys’ Orphanage. At the former I did a few “he is…/she is….”, “he has…/she has…” exercises. I’m still finding that 30 minutes with five different classes doesn’t work all that well. Even more so because at Siri Sumana I’m usually left alone with the class. This makes keeping order harder than at Ranapanediniya, where even if I’m alone, the open plan layout of the school means another teacher is within sight. It’s most unsettling for me when at Siri Sumana a child cries, and I can’t find out why.

At Baranasooriya Boys’ Orphanage I did the colour word search, The Rainbow Song and hopscotch. Discipline and lesson structure are both a problem here. Kids seem to come and go from the lesson at will, but there is always a core of pupils to work with. I feel these children have been rather unlucky with my time. For one reason or another there have been several occasions we’ve not been able to have a class here.

Wednesday 7th February

This morning was my last teaching before I leave. I was at Ranapanediniya School this morning and I personally donated a new medical kit to the school, and then set about the day’s teaching. I helped grades 7, 8 and 10 to write penfriend letters to Melbourn Primary School in Royston.

At 12:30 I was present for the inaugural meeting of the English Literary Association when committee members were elected and there were speeches by the English teacher, K. Premasiri, and by the principle , who’s name I’ve misplaced. After this there was a ceremony for me, in which all those children present (about 100) sang “You are my sunshine”. One student from grade 10 then made a really nice speech about me, before giving me a present they’d collected together for and bought. It’s a little statue of a fisherman. The assembly was finished off with the students all reciting a Buddhist chant.

This afternoon at Nirasha School I did a few exercises including Opposites and Name the Animal. I also taught them the rhyme about 10 naughty monkeys jumping on the bed before finishing off with the Engines Engines book, which I know they enjoy.

Thursday 8th February

Tonight I went round to Bindu’s where a small party was to be held for me. I bought a bottle of arrack for them all, and we played a bit of karam. I’ve got quite average at this over the past few weeks. We finished off the night with them all singing and percussing a few songs popular songs in Sinhala or Hindi.

I really like the way people shake hands here. It’s far softer than the statement of masculinity I’m used to in England. Here it’s sometimes more like holding of hands, thank shaking, such as with Sugat. Actually, men are more physical with each other here, and it’s nice. A hand on the shoulder, or a head massage, or even casually holding hands, is not uncommon.

Friday 9th February

I finished packing early this afternoon, so spent an extra ½ hour with the children at Nirasha School. I had some photos I’d brought from home of friends and family, so I taught the children sentences such as “This is Heather”….”She is 31 years old”….”This is Jack”…”He is 10 years old”….”Heather is Jack’s mother”.

I’ve been really pleased by the food here in Sri Lanka. I've written a much more detailed personal blog, including lots about the food. But I dind't feel it relevent to Help Lanka, so it's not on here. Email me if you want to know anything more...

albert

1 Comments:

At 8:38 am, Blogger Help Lanka said...

On behalf of the Trustees and Directors of Helplanka I would like to say a BIG thankyou to Albert Freeman for all the fantastic work undertaken in Rathgama during January and February on his volunteer placement.

The feedback I have received from the schools has been glowing and although Albert experienced some minor communication problems he has made an outstanding contribution to the work of Helplanka and a real difference to the lives of children in Sri Lanka in a relatively short period of time.

I particularly enjoyed reading his informative and witty accounts of his experiences in Rathgama amd beyond and look forward to seeing the photographs.

Big Thanks must also go to Mrs Mendis and Nalinda Helplanka's Galle Coordinator for looking after Albert and introducng him to all things Sri Lankan including Carom !!!

Very well done and thankyou Albert.

Sam Goonetillake Chief Executive Helplanka UK

 

Post a Comment

<< Home